View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
appyacres

Thumbs up Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt Fix - Kral method

That's it! I ordered the Kral kit for both rear bolts. I was able to remove 2 broken studs with the welding a nut method. They were the 2nd and 3rd from the rear.
The driver side rear had a protruding stud and I was able to get a nut welded on. Even with light pressure using a battery powered Dewalt impact driver, the damm stud broke off below flush. I AM NOT A WELDER, apparently. After 20 plus tries trying to get a good weld on the driver rear, I quit.

The passenger side rear was broke off below the surface. I was able to drill a 1/8" hole nearly on center followed by 10 plus attempts to weld a washer/nut combination. Could not get a weld to stick in the recessed hole for the life of me...

Since there is a ton of room on the passenger side compared to the driver side, I thought it would be worth the attempt to drill it out and try extractor. Quit before it broke off in the hole.

Further drilling I was able to get it close to the 8mm drill size to attempt a tap but the bolt material is so F'n hard that the tap would get hung up. Too afraid of breaking something off in the hole.

My patience has worn thin being on a serious regime of cancer meds at this time. Only good for about 3 hours of this type of work.

While waiting for the parts to arrive I can better utilize my limited energy with a buffer and polishing compound removing all the tree branch scratches incurred while hunting this year.

For those that have succeeded in this adventure, hats off to you...
appyacres is offline   Reply With Quote