View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #54
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
Just back in town...

Bruce, I found the easiest way to maneuver this or the sidewinder was to loosely mount the the brackets where I wanted them to be, then I use a hydraulic cart that I'm lucky enough to have available to me to raise the winch into place. With this winch set down having the gear box facing up, I slowly raise the cart up and as it contacts the brackets, it pretty much rolls forward into place.
For future reference, I tried both front and rear brackets on top of lower frame rail but could not get it to align properly. The only success I had was with front bracket on top and rear underneath. I'm content with how secure it feels and if I thought I'd be doing some serious pulling with it, I'd probably give it a few hits with the welder, for CDO sake anyways!

Jeff, It's been a few days since you've posted, looks like you have it sorted. Is it mounted yet?
I'm waiting for the motor in the mail. I didn't want to spend on the motor until I could see the gear. buying the gear was a gamble, I wasn't positive what it was going to be. But when I get the motor I will clean parts and assemble.

Also, I am happy with under frame mount. The 7/16 grade 8 bolts are fine. Initially I tried to fit it inside the rails because I assumed that's where it mounted. But, if your putting massive force on the bolts during winching operations, I don't think over or under matters. Just my thoughts, and I'm feeling good about under mounting.

I'll post more pics when I get the motor so the smooth shaft change over is verified and put to rest for future reference.