View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #14
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Alternator draining battery?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help, I will try to answer your questions one at a time, maybe together we can figure this out and help others in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Clarify this for me. You have a 71 with an internally regulated alternator. It's now a one-wire alternator.
No, I have a '71 cab with a modern internally regulated alternator which I have converted to a one wire now.

Quote:
Or have you installed a 3 wire internally regulated alternator and the wire is hot with the key on or off.?
Correct, I have an internally regulated alternator that I have converted to a one wire.

Quote:
If it's a 3 wire then you will have to find out why the pin 1 wire is hot with the key off.
Exactly.

Quote:
The wire that goes to the no.1 pin comes from the key switch accessory terminal where it is joined with a brown 12 gauge accessory terminal wire that feeds the fuse panel. The no.1 pin wire is a 20 gauge resistance wire equivalent to 10 ohms, which equals the alternator charging light on the light dashes. Gauge dashes don't have the light but they have the wire. it powers up the alternator when the key is turned on to ignition or to accessory.
That seems right, I followed it from the alternator through the firewall and up to the key switch.

Quote:
I seem to remember a thread where a member had a feedback from the fuse panel to the accessory wire terminal which sent voltage to the alternator when the key was off. I think it was in the key switch harness plug and there was a short between a hot wire and the accessory wire.
I will go on and troubleshoot that section then, thank you so much.

Quote:
When this wire gets to the cab side of the firewall plug it exits the engine side as a 16 gauge brown wire that use to run to the external voltage regulator, This is the same wire that goes to the no. 1 pin on the alternator.
Yes, correct, spot on, I followed exactly precisely some diagrams on this forum how to convert a '71 harness to a one wire setup. And the part in the engine bay I believe I done did right.

Quote:
If you can't find the source of the live voltage when the key is off then there are a couple of ways to work around it. It would be better to find the short but if you can't then we'll look at them.
Yes sir, I wouldn't doubt it if my ignition key switch had a short in it. Though I took it apart and examined it once already.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote