View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #71
special-K
Special Order

Re: Trip to the auto parts store just isn't the same

I've been getting the poor attitude and demeanor from countermen of all ages for all the years I've bought parts, which has been since about 1970. And back then there were no "kids" my age or anywhere near doing the job. I had a '56 VW I started working on when I was 15. I learned the VW dealers were my last resort. Raymo's Auto Service out in the country was a world class VW shop in the '60s my dad dealt with. Jim Raymo and Louie were just as good to me as they were to their richest customer. They never put a wrench to my VWs but they'd give me any guidance I needed. They would suggest parts or the best way to go about what my goals were. I still find that out there, but it's rare for sure. They found me NOS all over the country and this was eons before the internet. If you find a good parts store or a store with a good counterman, be a loyal customer. That's what I have always been with any type of business I deal with and I find that to be a rare thing with "customers" these days. It seems most all the things I grew up with as convention is all getting twisted around into helter skelter. Even twist ties these days on bags. You never know if they'll properly twisted clockwise or if you'll be tightening it trying to loosen it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey people!!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote