View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #300
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Yesterday, July 13, 2018...

Well, I got the relays I needed. The manual was on CD and it was NOT the factory manual and did not include the full schematics and wire codes for 1996, so I was left to wing it with regard to the twelve wires that are for the rear half of the truck. I managed to match up nine of the original ten wires based on the color codes being the same. The only one that did not have an immediate match was the power for the fuel level sender, as 1994 used a solid blue wire and 1996 has two variations for blue wires with assorted stripes and one other that I don't recall the color on. Most of these are related to the rear lights and right now I don't need a fuel gauge, so none of these should be the no-start issue.

I plugged everything back in and tried to start it yesterday, but no luck. I have power to the ignition switch, but nothing happens when I turn the key. There is a stray wire from the engine compartment side of the 84-way connector which may or may not be involved, but without the 1996 version of the Dodge big book of knowledge, I am having to find the counterpart to that wire on the other half of the plug, under the dashboard. It also may be an issue in either the fuse panel or the PCM, if the PCM was setup with factory security, since I don't have the ignition switch or key from the donor truck.

When I turn the key on, my cooling fan works as it should, so I know there is power that far, but the fuel pump does not spin up and the starter motor doesn't engage to crank the engine. More digging to do.

-Joe

Last edited by Purcell69; 07-14-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote