View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #43
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1970 C30 Car hauler Buildish thread.

Very nice work on the cab and paint work! I love what you're doing with it! Nice choice on the intercooled VE! I don't know where you read or heard that these like to run away but I have to call BS on that. Now, if the turbo starts blowing oil out of the compressor side, it could run a way. But it is not a common thing on them. As far as the flywheel, you'd probably still use a 1st gen flywheel. I am not sure as I never used that adapter. For a clutch fork call this guy and see if he has one. Mark 402-780-5127. If he doesn't have one, he probably can find one.

The alternator and ac were operated by the computer on the first gens. You can get a 1 wire alternator for these, or use a mid 90s Ford F250 external voltage regulator. I have some info in the Diesel conversion section of this site on them.

I think I remember you put a newer steering box on this truck? If so you can use the lines from a square body with a hydroboost. You will have to tweak them to fit nice in there but they work.

If I was you I'd get a 2nd gen radiator and intercooler and modify your radiator support to fit them in. I used a stock 4 core BBC radiator in my 72 and I will be putting a 2nd gen dodge one in eventually. My truck will run warm when hauling 5th wheels. Hauling 20k open trailers it is fine. But that wind resistance makes it work more and my engine isn't stock so that doesn't help either.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is online now   Reply With Quote