View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #1411
jocko

Re: Nostalgia - Pics in Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Here’s one supporting an X-15 mission in 1961. One of the B-52s that carried/launched the X-15 does a flyover after a mission.
Very cool picture, thanks for sharing. I used to live at Edwards AFB and then lived in China Lake off and on for years. About halfway between the two is a tiny mining town named Johannesberg, must've driven thru it a million times (and usually behind a gravel truck from Trona...), as well as all the back roads and shortcuts surrounding it. Back in 2004, I was invited to the dedication of the Mike Adams X-15 memorial out in the middle of the desert. His final X-15 flight crashed in the desert just east of Johannesberg in 67 and, at the speed it was traveling, scattered parts for miles. The memorial is located at the approximate point of impact and is made of some of the same material used to build the X-15. I don't know if the cool pic of the X-15 above is the one flown by Mike Adams, but there were only a handful of them built. He was an American Hero if there ever was one and was posthumously awarded his astronaut wings. Sorry this has no truck relevance, but near and dear nonetheless..
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote