View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #38
gigamanx

Re: Craigslist sanity check: 4L80e + 5.7L SBC 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
man I would be careful, a pile of parts is pretty tough to jump in and drive around, and buying stuff you dont need yet might be exciting with the chase and the gratification endorphines but you should try getting the drudge work done first. my 2 pennies were in the beginning, and still are: its easy to take a running truck down for a weekend or week for an engine swap, or installing a bag kit. it is TREMENDOUSLY hard (and extremely expensive) to buy a bunch of different components bolt them all together and expect them to work harmoniously.

I know you have a 2.8 and thats bad luck but you know what, I would lump it with the 2.8 till everything was running and driving because you already know it works. get that experience of driving around the block instead of sitting in it making engine noises a year from now.
I hear you for sure. I am only buying parts I need. The accuair kit only grabs me because it seems rare to find that in my area for the price. I'm told to be patient for a good deal on parts, but sometimes the parts show up before we need them. I realize that actually installing it would blow my budget and timeline up just like the engine did, so the plan would be to shelve that project until after the truck is running. 3 link suspension kit, new front uppers, probably drop spindles, fabbing the bag mounts, air lines, fabbing tank mounts. Then while I'm there I'll do all the front suspension and steering bushings.

See how much I learn in a year I now at least have an idea of what goes into putting something extra on the truck haha.

As far as drudging though; I actually like all of the work except getting crusty old oil off parts so I can reuse them. The biggest hurdles are time and my own knowledge. I have to learn every step before I can do it. If I ever did a second truck I'd be whipping through

Update....scored for $700. Compressor, VU4 manifold, elevel, 4 wheel sensors, rocker switch and 2 bags

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride

Last edited by gigamanx; 08-16-2017 at 07:31 AM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote