View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Original Truckdude

Re: Installing a CPP C-Notch kit on a '66 shortbed

I've continued to work on my frame with the help from a friend. The end of the frame seemed torqued, one rail was higher and the whole rear was out of square. After much thought, we decided to mount the hitch receiver as the rear cross-member and use a come-along to pull the rails together. It worked like a charm, everything is now square and level, well at least close enough for factory specs. My Fleetside end bed rail will need some clearance work but the receiver should end up above the bumper right behind the stock license plate holder. I'll make a quick release for the plate when and if I do tow something. It should look pretty stock with the hitch hidden. On a lowered truck, I like having the receiver mounted higher.

Then we used some 1/4" steel to make boxing plates for the C-Notch. They turned out pretty nice after an afternoon of cut, grind, fit, bend, do it again. Next step is to make plates to box in the hitch, coat all the insides with Chassis Saver (like POR-15) and weld them up.