View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
robertsjm711

Clutch & Basic Hydraulics

I am working on the clutch on my 1953 3100 w/ 5.3 & Muncie M20. I having some issues with the clutch pedal and would like some thoughts, if possible.

I am using a Howe hydraulic throughout bearing with stock LS/Chevy pressure plate/clutch, Wilwood pedal/master combo w/ .75 bore, 1:7 ratio pedal.

My issue is the pedal motion distance. To get the clutch to completely disengage, the pedal has to be very high, ~3". The pedal hits the ~45 degree firewall before it would if it was a 90 degree, I assume this was designed for. I now own the combo after installing it so using it or some of it would be best if possible, I need to keeps cost to a minimum if possible.

My initial though was to somehow reduce the pedal travel, but this may reduce usability.

My thoughts were:
1. Change the pedal ratio - making or modifying some pedal assembly. Cons - can't mod current pedal, will change effort & other factors; pro - challenge to build and can make changes during build, flexibility?

2. Change the master cylinder bore size. Cons - can't use what I have, unknown "side effects"; pros - with bigger bore = less pedal motion/more release bearing motion/less bearing force (?? still reading up on this)

3. Create a recess in the firewall to allow for some of the needed motion. cons - might look odd; pros can use all current stuff & easy to create

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
Attached Images

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote