View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
SCOTI

Re: Time Out: 70 El Camino Side Project

Most of the offending leaky gasket material was scraped away & the long-block was wiped down to see what they had. We were glad to see zero residue or deposits in the lifter valley & oil-pan. There was also a dbl roller timing set & some fresh pistons in the bores. This was great news as a rebuild would have taken over the entire budget. The rattle-can rebuild commenced once the assorted gaskets were acquired.

Intake rail seals, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets, & the trans output shaft seal were all leaking or poorly installed. We made corrections & used the best materials possible (spend more up front to have it cleaner longer ).

The intake was cleaned as thoroughly as possible but was still ugly. We searched for a used/cheap suitable replacement but couldn't find anything. The only spare parts I had on the shelf was a little too much for this application so we used paint to keep within the budget (I'm not a fan of painting alum intakes & we didn't have access to a bead blaster @ the time).

It took several days to clean everything & get it prepped for color but Dylon liked what he saw as we progressed.

I'm assuming they were each taking pics of the clean motor & NOT texting/surfing the web. Who am I kidding....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote