View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Haggar

Re: 1971 Jimmy with 6.0 LQ4 / 4L65, 4" lift/33s.. basic family fun cruiser

I had started the project, with a drivetrain in hand.. an LS2, a built RMVB 700R4, and a full time t-case (BW4472).. this was from a Jeep project, that got scuttled, due to the family size addition. Well, the LS2 became a 403, and I didn't want to swap to a drivers side diff, so I decided to look for a different drivetrain for it. (The Jeep project was going to be more of a hot rod, but I wanted a milder engine and real automatic shifting in the Jimmy)..

So a friend gave me a 5.3 that he had laying around, with some type of valve spring issue. After I inspected it, I found a broken valve spring on #7.. a borescope showed the piston hit the valve, and compressed air showed it was bent and leaking... So, on to engine #3..

Still wanting just a stock engine, I decided to find a 6.0. Found a nice low mileage LQ4 long block from a Hummer H2. I could use the intake and accessories from the 5.3 on it to get a complete engine. When I got this one home and started cleaning... I noticed the ports were CNCd... hmm, interesting. (I got it from a local wrecker, it was already shrink wrapped on a pallet when I got it, couldn't see the small details). More inspection showed ARP bolts, a pinned crank pulley (which explains why this one was sold with no intake manifold..).. The heads were stock CCs, but had aftermarket dual springs and retainers, and there was a Lunati blower cam installed.

At that point, I was not going to end up with a stock engine anyway.. so I scrounged parts left over from the LS2. I installed a Comp 223/231 cam with .637/.617... big lift, but the ported heads should take advantage of the lift. I think its on a 114 LSA, and has -1* of overlap, so would give me some idle chop, but drive well. This is a PCM of NC Attitude V2 cam that I had on the shelf. This cam is designed for a heavy Trailblazer SS, so I figured it was a decent enough match for the Jimmy.

I had some Corvette 33# LS2 injectors on the shelf also. Paired this with Doug Thorley 1-7/8 Tri-Ys, since no one else makes swap headers for a 4x4 early K5 swap.

I tried to keep it low key, so spray bombed it all rattle can chevy orange, and did some black crinkle paint on the valve covers.

The Transmission is the 4L65e from the same Hummer. I installed a Corvette servo, and changed the filter in the pan, but that's about it. A Yank PT3200 converter finishes this section off. I got a Lokar top mount shifter, I Think 17" tall, matte black with a mushroom style head, it looks very close to the original SM465 shifter
Attached Images

Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote