View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #167
Matt Man

Re: 81 Chevy K10 ShortBed

So I have had my truck up for sale for about 5 months now and lots of interest but no offers at what I want for it so the only place it is still for sale is on this forum.

Also, it turns out that in the county I moved to in Idaho has smog tests for 1981 and newer FIGURES ONE YEAR!! Anyway, I took it to a smog station and it only has to pass a two speed idle test for Hydrocarbons and CO and there is no visual inspection on 81,82, and 83 model year vehicles. So I took off my air injection, egr valve, and the miles of vacuum lines and just left the catalytic converter on it. I took it to the smog station and it passed blowing under 50ppm on Hydrocarbons and the CO was insanely low and the smog guy was impressed. The limits are over double the limits California had for emissions not to mention the visual inspection California had which I should have failed before because I never had a EFE valve hooked up. I don't mind passing emissions this way as it should not matter whats under the hood as long as it passes. Long story short, I am good for smog for 2 years.

So after I did the emissions delete I was surprised how much smoother the engine runs. I know it doesn't add more power (just the gain from driving the smog pump which I heard is 1hp) but its just SO much better to look at under the hood and work on it and it still passes emissions with the CAT which I will never remove. Everything went well except the air injection pipe on the drivers side I had to remove the exhaust manifold to remove the rear most air injection fitting what a PITA. Here's what it looked like after I got done with it. I still need to remove the thermal vacuum switches from my water neck, I will do that when I put headers on and will buy a nice set of valve covers and air cleaner.

and back together with the 1/4" pipe plugs from Home Depot

Engine

I also fixed one of the painters screw ups which was painting the back side of the doors as the backside of the doors were still tan. I sanded the area and shot it with 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear it came out better than I thought.

I have to drive back to California to pick up my brothers stuff because he too is now moving to Idaho with me I will be leaving on the 19th towing the same U-Haul trailer down there and back up here. So I have gone over the truck with a hawk eye and its ready. I will try to take more pictures as the drive is really cool and scenic. I just need to make sure I use my water cooled credit card to pay for the gas haha.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Last edited by Matt Man; 08-14-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote