View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
bradh

Re: 350 Vortec; convert to carbureted and HEI ignition possible?

Fel-Pro 1094 is the coated .015 head gasket. Make sure your block and heads are clean and flat if you use these. I also retorqued my heads after the engine had been warmed up a few times. You'll have to double check to see how far your pistons are sitting down in the hole but they should be around .025, that's what mine was when I tore it down. With the .015 gasket and .025 deck height you'll have .040 quench, perfect. It should put you in the mid nines for compression, no problem even on 87 octane. The pistons have a slight dish but not bad. If they are good I would use them. They take a metric ring size so don't just grab a set of regular chevy rings. I ended up boring my block and putting flat tops in since it sat outside at the salvage yard for a few weeks with the heads off. I ended up at 10.05:1 and it does not ping with 87, my new pistons were also .025 in the hole. I'm running 35 degrees total ignition advance and a roller cam with 218/228 at .050. I'm also running RHS heads and a LT1 intake. Even without the heart shaped vortec chamber I have not run into preignition problem with 10 to 1.

I really like these vortec truck engines and I'll be looking for another one next time I need a 350.
bradh is offline   Reply With Quote