View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
53lochevy

installation of bear claw latches in 1953

Ok guy here's some of the pics of the new latch that I have come up with for the bear claw latches using the orginal door handles. First layout the door in the same location as the old stock latches where as shown on the pic, take your time in laying out and the cut out before the line and grind to line nice and neat. Once door has been fitted with the bear claw latch plate u can start to work on the latch itself. Materials needed for install set of small bear claw latches, 2- 3/8 plates from loews by the steel section for the latches, 1 box of door clips from O'reillys, 2- 125 bolts with sleeves and washers, 2 nylon nuts, and the old springs out of the stock latches, wire handle from a 5 gal plastic can for the linkage. Get a template made in the shape you see in the pic or ask and I'll send ya one copied from mine one works for both sides, cut out door latches, bend as to pic shown and drill holes as shown also in pic. Once latches have been cut and bend to fit get one of the bolts and weld in place as shown in pic, next drill small hole as shown in pic for the spring to insert into, place on washer on bolt then place new latch then another washer then take old spring and bend a 90 angle as shown in pic then insert 90 into hole as shown in pic and bend the other end behind latch as shown place last washer on top followed by the nylon nut and tighten not to tight must move freely. Next get 2 door clips and insert into hole on bear claw latch and the new latch, take wire from handle 5 gal can and cut you a piece, bend 90 in vice and place in one hole measure and bend 90 in other end be sure to hold the bear claw latch down tight not to release the latch just to take the slack out of latch and measure bend in 90 and install and secure door clips to wire and there you have it guys the right way and not a butchered product or cover up nice and neat. just my opinion Enjoy
Attached Images

53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote