View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
auminer49r

Re: 72 Chevy C-10 Fuel Sending Unit Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
Have you tried testing the sender outside of the tank? You will need to ground the mounting flange then you can move the arm by hand to see if it moves the needle from E to F.

If you can get a full range on the gauge that way it could be that there is some sort of obstruction preventing full motion in the tank or perhaps the replacement senders aren't the correct part for the tank.

If moving the arm through its full motion doesn't give you full range on the gauge then the sender doesn't match the gauge. Somewhere around here someone should have the impedance range expected from the sender.
I have not bench-tested the sending units. I will test the old one tonight. That's good advice. I'll take it!
I will speculate that fuel tank obstructions are probably unlikely since it would have to have an obstruction from sinking and an obstruction from floating in order to have the gauge reading within the 1/8 to 3/8 range always. I have even ran the truck out of gas with 1/8 showing on the gauge.

I know for sure that the sending units are both 90 Ohm. (it is printed on the unit). So, ... maybe the fuel guage isn't 90 Ohm? Could that be? Does Chevy have factory gauges that have a different Ohm range?

The new sending unit, I just installed, is called-out specifically for a 72 C-10 with Automatic Transmission, just like my truck.

I'm still looking for things to test when I get home tonight, assuming the tank doesn't have obstructions in it blocking the float from floating past 3/8 and/or sinking below 1/8.

Thanks, auminer49r
auminer49r is offline   Reply With Quote