View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 42 pick up window winder

Hi John,
Yeah, you can refurbish it if the teeth aren't stripped or the stainless strip cracked. It's actually pretty simple. There is a Tech Tip over on the Stovebolt.com on this subject with pictures. Check this out:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wi...ank/index.html

I did mine WITHOUT the Tech Tip (hadn't found it yet). Mine was frozen solid and I bought it online for $40 intending to use it as a core for sending to Jim Carter Truck parts. They will refurbish one for $150, but they charge you another $100 if you don't have a core! I figured, may as well take it apart and give it a look.

I tapped it apart with a mallet, used my bench grinder with a wire wheel to clean everything up and lubed the parts with white molybdenum grease. Worked like a charm. I didn't even paint mine because the parts other than the pins and SS strip are aluminum. It looked so good after wire wheeling I just left it alone.

Sorry I don't ave detailed pix. These just show the windshield regulator after I installed it with the stainless arm extended, and below the dash with it installed.
Attached Images

Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote