View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
1badgmc

Re: HOW TO: Install HID Lighting & HID lighting explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH Coachworks View Post
The above post has a lot of good information in it, but also has some misguided info in it. To say that HID's shouldn't be used in any reflector based application is a bit off, and simply not realistic. And I agree 100% with the statement that projectors are the best set up for HID's, and the do a much better job of projecting and focusing the HID's beam pattern, while drastically reducing glare. BUT glare exists in halogen lighting as well, not just HID's. With that being said, HID's are still a great upgrade even in reflector or refractors based housings if you do a little homework before upgrading.

And contrary to popular belief, there are OEM applications where HID's where used in a reflector based housing designed for HID's. I've personally been blinded at night by oncoming drivers with HALOGEN headlights, from headlight alignment that is terribly off. I've been running HID's personally for years, and not ONE time have I been flashed by oncoming traffic at night for my headlights producing to much glare. Again, it all comes down to knowing the facts on how to do something, and taking the appropriate actions.

HID's emit light much further out then a regular (or even upgraded) halogen or incandescent light will. Seeing ANY extra distance at night, can save your vehicle or even someones life. With your increased down road vision you WILL be able to see potential dangers sooner then you could with a light source that did not emit light as far out as say an HID. There could be a deer in a ditch, a person walking along the road, a car stranded along the road with no lights on, etc etc etc and you WILL be able to see that potential danger sooner, therefore giving you a longer time to react accordingly which could potentially save your vehicle from getting into an accident or potentially even save a life.

Do HID's emit more glare then Halogens in a reflector based housing? Absolutely. If the light housing is chosen and is utilized along with proper alignment after the installation of HID's, is the glare unacceptable? Absolutely NOT.

I will not say that HID's should not be installed into a reflector based housing. If the headlight is aimed within reason, and features a "glare cap" (Which greatly reduces glare regardless of the light source type) then HID's will be give you a great upgrade in light output, as well as giving you a reduced amperage draw on your vehicle.
This, with the emphasis on the glare cap. I have also been running drop-in HIDs for several years now and have NOT been flashed a single time. I also have a car with OEM HIDs, so I do know what a good HID cutoff looks like. It is true that you'll never get that with some HIDs in a reflector housing, but with my drop-in HIDs, I can surely see much farther down the road with a brighter, whiter light than halogens. I only put HIDs in housings that at least have a glare cap. It's amazing how much of a difference that it, along with some careful aiming, can make.

My eyes are extremely sensitive to light. If I can face my own vehicle head-on and have it behind me without bothering me, then I know that most other drivers aren't being bothered either. Some of the most annoying glare I encounter from HIDs comes from the current generation Escalades. There's something about those things. I've encountered plenty of other vehicles with drop-in HIDs that didn't bother me at all, yet there are plenty of those idiots out there who don't give a care.

You can't just make a blanket statement saying it can't be done without bad glare and does nothing to improve the lighting. Are drop-in HIDs in halogen reflector housings optimal? No. Never will be. Can it be done safely in a way that doesn't cause problems for other drivers? Absolutely.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote