View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
whitedog76

Re: Ackerman angle on street suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
When you flip it front to back you may not be able to get the same rack position due to the design of the lower control arms. They may force the rack back some as many have the ball joint biased to the front. This will affect both bump steer and ackerman. Then then is the issue of mounting the rack as some are set up with a mount pad on the back side to go to the cross member that will now be on the wrong side. Lots of things to consider in the design. There are rear steer crossmembers out there for hodrods like the one from Walton Fabrication or Jim Myer racing that could be adapted to your 54.
Jimmy
Jimmy
I've thought about this. First off, I realize that a Pinto/MII rack won't work, Unless I made it RH drive. I'll need to find something different. Fortunately, the salvage yard is full of FWD cars and mini-vans.

Mounting the rack to the rear of the crossmmber is an issue. I'll have to come up with this on my own.

As far clearance goes. Moving the Rack isn't that simple either. The lower control arm may pose an issue due to it's shape. I'm thinking the Wilwood spindles will give me a few more options, being the steering arms are removeable.

All this is actually just theory. Something swirling around in my head. It's hard to say what will actually work, without having the parts in my hands.

Chris.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote