View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

My "new" '79 ChevMC

Wasn't in the market for another project, seeing as my current one ('72 shortbed) is stalled out at the moment, but I stumbled across this while I was cruising Craigslist for a climbing tree for our new kitten and couldn't pass it up. Advertised (and badged, mostly) as a '79 Chevy shortbed but titled as a '79 GMC instead. No matter. I'm not gonna restore it to factory specs anyway, so it'll be a Chevy to everyone but the DMV.

Kind of a Neapolitan color scheme. The bed is from Texas, VERY straight and rust-free. The driver's side fender is equally beautiful, as is the hood. Cab corners, rockers, doors and passenger fender need some attention. It did come with new rocker panels (uninstalled). It's a helluva lot nicer than the '72 I'm working on was when I bought it (although that really isn't saying much).

If you look carefully in the front passenger shot, you can see drag marks from the front passenger wheel, which locked up as we were moving it off the trailer. Caliper is probably frozen up. A minor problem and easily remedied (relatively speaking).

My thoughts on the truck are this: while I don't need another project for myself, my oldest will be 13 next month and driving in 3 years. You could do a lot worse for safety than a full-frame, full-size pickup. I don't want to build it into a show truck, but it wouldn't take much to get it into a condition he wouldn't be embarrassed to drive. But he'd have to help, and maybe even do most of the work as he gets old enough to do so. We'll see what happens. Y'all know how these things go sometimes.

Brent
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 09-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote