Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #1287
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
One piece driveline? The Muncie is about 5" longer than the three speed. I'd love to chop that carrier out of my cross member, but am not sure if a one-piece would be too long. I'll have to get one made, so if I have to go biggie-size that's not an issue.
A single piece driveshaft can work just fine and many guys on here run them.

The length won't be an issue as long as the diameter is increased to match.

Pretty much any driveshaft shop can build you the right one for your truck in a size that will live for your intended application. The biggest problem is the small and weak 1310 series U-joints in most of our trucks. They will fail and take out your new driveshaft and possibly tear up your truck if you put any kind of power to the ground and hook up.

If you are going to build a custom driveshaft then upgrade to a 1350 series U-joint. It will require a matching pinon yoke change in the rear end and a matching transmission yoke to be purchased but you will pretty much never break a U-joint ever again and your new driveshaft will live a long trouble free life.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote