View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #134
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
I decided to roll the dice and try the all aluminum 2.44 thick 4 core off ebay. Its being shipped and now I'm working on figuring out the trans crossmember. Think I'll just build it from scratch or modify the chevy one.

on this cold day I'm putting a list together of things I need to research and figure out.

- Tach- Whats the best way to get a tach on this thing?
- AC compressor mount- needs to be up higher. I could try to locate a medium duty truck water outlet/mount bracket but it may be $400? Otherwise I could maybe buy this
setup but I'm concerned they say the lower water neck needs to point down at 45 degrees. I don't want to do that since that will send it right towards the frame rail.
https://www.dieselconversion.com/hig...l#!prettyPhoto

-Cruise control - whats a good non vacuum option?
-Dmax rear axle springs are so long, I'd have to move the stock saddle fuel tanks. The springs in the truck are 10 leaf and look like they'll be pretty stiff. Perhaps if/when I swap
to the AAM 11.5 I will just get a set of stock K20 rear springs. I have the air lift airbags in the rear for capacity when hauling heavy.
-Fuel system - need to figure out if I should replace/upgrade the tanks or just flush them out. I'd like to run the dual tank setup. Trying to remember if the lift pump on the
engine is enough to draw the fuel or if i need a pump closer to the tank. Can't remember what the dodge gen 1's did. I think they just used the lift pump.
Does your truck have a factory tach currently? On my 72 I haven't gotten my tach done but I am using a dodge pick up sensor from a 92-early 98. I'm also using that style balancer that has 2 extra grooves cut into it so it will pick up the proper pulse for the gm tach. You can then wire the pick up sensor to your truck harness but you have to add a 1k ohm resistor to the pick up sensor harness so the tach will work correctly.

Or you can get a signal conversion box from dakota digital or even off ebay.

AC compressor mount...... Here is a link to a thread that has the part numbers listed in it if you need them. If you go this route and let me know and I'll get you some prices if you'd like.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bracket-2.html

That DCS one does allow you to use your stock dodge alternator and the price isn't horrible. On the lower inlet you could make your own. Make a flat flange that bolts to the new mount and then use 90s and cut/weld to get your angle you need. On my Corvette I cut up a dodge bracket and welded a 90* bend on it and it's been on there since.

I feel this is one of the best cruise control set ups out there. Years ago I put some on semis and they worked great.

http://www.rostra.com/universal-afte...-by-rostra.php

As far as the fuel system goes, you can run your stock stuff and use that stock switch over valve. You don't need another pump other than the lift pump that is on the side of the engine block. The only thing that I don't like about using the dual tank set up is it is kind of small line size if you are running a p pump at volume. At the power levels you're going to be you would be fine though.

As far as the newer leaf spring swaps etc, I'm no help there. I haven't done any on these trucks.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote