View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
dmjlambert

Re: Lost dash, some, brake and side marker lights

To change the switch you don't need to remove anything else. You just reach up behind the dash to the switch and find a little button on top of it. That button lets you release the knob. Push the button gently and pull the knob and it should come off with a metal stick attached. You may need to wiggle the knob around and play with the button to get it done. It helps if you stick your tongue out, furrow your eyebrows, and mutter a few words of encouragement to yourself under your breath. After the knob is off you can take off the bolt that holds it from the front and unplug it.

It's possible that would be blowing a fuse, but it is also possible some wiring is shorted.

Check your wiring where it goes through the driver side fender to the headlight area, and where it branches off to go to the various lights, including over the top of the radiator to the passenger side. Mine had damage and I repaired it. Also there is a 4 conductor wire that comes out of the middle of the firewall behind the engine and goes under the truck to the rear lights. Check that wire for condition, mine had damage. The rear light wiring where it branches off and goes to the various lights I think is often damaged because people added trailer wiring. Check to see if all that looks OK.

If your fuse continues to blow after you install a new switch, you'll have to get more involved with tracking down the short.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote