View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #139
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
So close I bet it killin' ya. Nice progress.
You have no idea...

Another day of good news/bad news.

First the good, I got it started. It sounded excellent.

The bad, no oil pressure.

I took an air tank out there this morning to try and push some air into the gas tank to see if the gas would make it to the front, that didn't work so well. But I still wanted to see if the fuel pump was ok, so I just ran a gas line from the pump into my gas can, undid the line at the carb and turned it over. Nothing, nada, zip, dry, etc. So I went and bought a fuel pump. Got it in, tested like the last time and it works. So I start it up off the gas can. Timing was way off, but I eventually turned the distributor enough to make it go. Now it starts right up and sounds smooth. But no oil pressure.

I've pulled the dizzy and got my priming tool on it, nothing. I'm going to have to change the pump and hope that my start up didn't wipe all the bearings. I'll pull a cap or 2 and check it out, but this will wait til next weekend I think. I had no reason to doubt the pump before. It turned smoothly and easily, looked ok. When I had my drill on it, there was something not right though. Something might have broke when I was putting in the shaft, retainer and dizzy. Who knows? Anyway, it's fixable. I'm disappointed, but it's not like I need to drive it to work tomorrow either.

Spent another $20 for a pump and fuel filter. Total now up to $372. Modelo Negra is my newest beer of choice.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote