View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Frame has been delivered. No surprises so far. They did great job preserving the frame and components. Will pickup the pedal assembly and steering shaft that mounts to the top of the rack on Monday since they may actually be useable in the build. Trying to decide on the wheel tire combo so I start working on the stance. Looking at a 18"x8" factory wheel as shown below on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CHEVY-TRAI...2bc61f&vxp=mtr

Will run either a 245-45-18 (O.D. 26.7") or 245-50-18 (O.D. 27.7") to get close to the 1981 Z28 225-70-15 wheel/tire (O.D. 27.4") I was using earlier when I thought I was going with a Camaro clip. Will show more wheel with less tire than my early mockups.

Set the cab on the frame. Will have to cut 4 of the Trailblazer body mount brackets off this weekend so I can determine where the cab actually goes. Currently, the back of the cab hits two of the mounting brackets which keeps me from moving the cab forward and into place. Will calculate the weight of the sheetmetal and drive train front and back and once I get the wheels and tires in place, I will try to load the springs with sacks of concrete to simulate the weight. Any other spring loading ideas would be appreciated. Currently looks/feels like a lot of spring for the truck I am building. May end up changing them if too stiff.

The strange hump over the rear end on the passenger side I was going to try to get rid of is the spring mount top. Looks like I won't be getting rid of that piece.

If wheelbase is too short, I may consider shortening the bed by an inch or two. Could take it out of the side a few inches in front of the rear wheel opening.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote