View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #889
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
From what I have learned:

-The fuel filter/regulator in the sketch is the stock setup used in 1999 Corvette. I am running the same set up in my Willys. An in tank fuel pump will last years running continuously as that is the way most were set up until the last several years. Certainly a PWM pump will last even longer, but is it worth it?

-The problem with PWM fuel pumps - The pump I guess is the same, but the on/off switching often comes from a separate controller (not from the PCM). If your pump goes out and you replace it, the controller has to be reset/calibrated at the dealership before the pump will work. Full disclosure- I don't know this from experience, only from research as I was trying to find out how to use a PWM controlled fuel pump using junkyard parts. After finding that story I decided a 99 vette fuel filter was good enough for me.....
Excellent info to consider & research. I definitely don't want to be @ the mercy of a dealership or tuner. Thanks for sharing.

I just know of more than one guy I follow on IG was having problems w/fuel starvation (during spirited driving & autocross; or driving w/less than 1/4 tank) on the Tanks Inc stock-tank retrofit set-up & were searching for an alternative. This is why I was thinking about possibly adding additional baffling & pick-ups if I ultimately did the Tanks Inc set-up using the GM/Vette style Filter + Regulator combo.

I was also considering the remote Surge Tank alternatives (FiTech; Edelbrock). But, that works for the SBC/BBC carb fuel system that has the ability to run a mechanical fuel pump to supply the surge tank (or you're dependent on a 2nd electric pump). Swap to an LS & you're doing things over. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible..... once.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-08-2019 at 06:38 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote