View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #24
joedoh

Re: Aftermarket chassis choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken sungela View Post

Diamonding the ladder is not a concern as there are not substantial forces on a car chassis as in your analogy.

well, thats not actually true. it has torque acting on it in two directions, the engine (logintudinal) and the rear axle (lateral). I was only trying to explain the real purpose of laddering and its not for torsion. the 2x6 box rails are going to have a ton of torsional rigidity, its the box height that is important.

the stiff chassis you are after, the way you are describing it, can be had by adding a cage. but be aware that stiff chassis on the track are wonderfully handling machines, stiff chassis on the street break ball joints, or suspension attachment points, because the chassis has no flex to absorb what a real street provides. even that bed test mongo shows, it is marketing hyperbole to say "we are better because it is stiffer", when the actual extra stiffness can actually come from the bed bolted to the rear frame, and the actual better truck will keep the wheels in contact with the ground.

do what you like, maybe AME doesnt really know what they are talking about, I have taken the classes in statics and dynamics and have hand built a frame before, but I am not saying I am some sort of chassis expert either.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote