View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #143
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Let's play name that part, bolt, harness, screw....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Brake booster related
Darn, I already gave it away. I'm removing it now

Guess again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtb1971 View Post
Pulled a front bumper of a unmolested 72 the other day and it had L8 bolts that attached the bumper brackets to the frame. Is this where your had the third option?
Just what few I've seen I'm surprised GM installed GR8 L8 bolts for a chrome bumper. Or any bumper unless HEAVY duty, but I'm no expert. Better the bolt busts then your frame I suppose, but your left hand horn will crack anyway if you strike a boulder, ask me how I know. Prior owner. Per my 71 L8 was used:

STEERING BOX BOLTS

UPPER CONTROL ARM BRACKET BOLTS - TOP These bolt on to fixed nuts like for the steering box. My truck had three original types, all GR8. One L8, One stamped with a circle, and two stamped with a dog bone.

ENGINE CROSSMEMBER TO FRAME RAIL WALL BOLTS. If memory serves me these take fixed nuts as well. So in a nutshell, if there's a fixed square nut in the frame for a 7/16" bolt you can bet it probably calls for GR8 "L8" type bolt.

On a side, I think there are many misconceptions where a GR8 should be used, GM didn't install many for good reason. I can say unless perhaps pulling a block, GR8 is out for long block components. Matter of fact someone long ago busted a GR8 on what's now a LH head, likely from doing just that. The heads came off a 68 Camaro BBC. I spent many hours drilling it out, and if not for my B/A son it would have been many more. I tapped it 7/16, though the hole isn't used.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-05-2021 at 11:25 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote