View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Mike_82_Shortbox

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
"If the toe is too much toward 0 the steering will tend to wander because the tie rods do not have enough tension on them and the joints will want to ”roll around” in the sockets"

This is B.S. I put it in there as filler while writing the information so that I could come back later and word it properly, it somehow slipped through the cracks.

It is my belief that as the toe is set closer to 0, road feel is numbed. The truck would lack a certain confident feel. It may be good for a vehicle traveling in a straight line but not for a vehicle that you would actually want to dip in and out of corners with.
Nick,

In refreshing my memory about alignment theory, I found the following about toe-in:

Ideal toe-in is 0°. But that is at road speed.

Tires have a certain amount of "rolling resistance," which is the rearward force exerted on the wheel by the road, and by air pressure, as it is pushed forward by the vehicle frame.

There is a certain amount of flexibility in the A-arm bushings (assuming they are the stock rubber ones), and this flexibility responds to the rolling resistance. At highway speeds, the static toe-in angle is negated by the suspension system flexibility, and the total rolling toe-in ends up being 0°.

The static toe specifications assume the factory designed A-arm bushings, which are much more flexible than, say, polyurethane bushings. Therefore, any vehicle with polyurethane or custom performance bushings will probably require far less static toe in than a stock vehicle. Such vehicles with polyurethane bushings using factory toe-in specifications will probably be unstable, and may be observed to wander at high speeds, because of too much toe-in.

Mike
Mike_82_Shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote