View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Also, see if you have hot to the switch from where the arm slides onto the contacts. Get a light/meter and see what's up with the hi wire, I bet you got nuthin. Give it a shot. You're doing great!
Thank you, Low Elco. Your advice was helpful. I set out this morning with the ohm meter and starting testing from the harness plugin, through the relay and finally to the blower motor. I hooked up a pigtail light, ground to body...positive to the blower motor connector, and placed the pigtail on the cowl so I could see from the inside.

The ac/fan switch lit the light up on each setting. Baffled by this, I took some sand paper to the blower motor connector, then sacrificed one of my wife's nail files, ground it down, and super glued some 100 grit sand paper to it, and cleaned up the contact in the blower motor pigtail.

Hooked it back up, and voila...fan works on all settings! Was really surprised that's all it was...blower motor connector just needed contacts cleaned up!

Quote:
3. I saw that you're shooting that liner with a standard gun. Oy Vey! Go to the car paint store and ask for a Schutz (shoots) gun. Get a bottle if you need it. It's designed to shoot undercoating, etc. and makes that job child's play. Not even expensive. Again, looks great!
LOL, nah, that was my son using the air hose with a air/sprayer to clean out the truck bed. We used a spray liner gun when we did the bed. That stuff is so thick, I cannot imagine it going through a typical paint spray gun. Appreciate you looking out for me on the build, you've been very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_67C10 View Post
Lookn good!!! I need to get crackin on my interior! If I only had time.........................
Thanks, 808.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looks great! Nice work upgrading/improving an already nice truck
Thanks VA. I come across your posts all the time when searching for how to do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Man you scored on that truck, it looks nice.

A thought I have on the outside since it appears there are no holes for the trim, instead why not do a nice pin stripe in a contrasting color like red to break the line, I think it would look really nice.
Thanks, MrBeast. The trim holes are there, though probably not visible in the pics. I'm going to try and piece the trim together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
Your're a (all of the above) and work just get's in the way at times (like the rest of us). Nice job!
Appreciate the kind comments and support, Rex.

-------------------------------------

Pic wise, it was a rather uneventful day. Low Elco's suggestions above sparked some ideas and finally got the fan/blower working! I couldn't leave well enough alone though. The levers on the ac control were not sliding very well at all. Was afraid I'd put too much pressure and break something, so while there, I took each lever cable off, one at a time, and soaked it in PB Blaster. Squirted a little at a time, down the cable, till it started coming out the other side.

When I got to the last lever, the one that connects to the back of the heater unit, I noticed a resistor of some sort there. Pulled it out and going to see if I can get a replacement for it. Man, it's hard to get back there! I'm going to pay a heavy price (soreness) tomorrow for all the twisting my body did to get to the back of the heater box!

The ac levers move very well, now that they've been lubed.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote