View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #20
A1971Blazer

Re: Bucket seat restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Not sure what year these seats came out of. They had aftermarket black covers on them that had the backs covered completely. I want to strip them to the frames and blast them but I don’t know how to remove the back foam. How do I remove the back foam? I can’t fit the frame into the blasting cabinet at work in one piece. Do the frames come apart?Sorry for all the questions but I couldn’t find the answers by using search.
unfortunately the frames do not come apart....

what I discovered was, it appears that when the seats were manufactured, they installed the springs onto the frame and then molded the foam onto them....

the reason I think this is because there was foam down inside every crack and crevice of the frames..... that process also embedded the springs into the foam...

replacement foam will not have the springs embedded.......

to get the back foam off fold it back and you will see the ends of the springs.......then pull the spring ends out of the keepers and the foam will come off.

look at the picture above that I posted........ you can see where the springs for the backrest attach to the frame
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 02-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote