View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 56 truck rearend

Boy howdy you know how to wake up the Friday night crowd.

There was a time when we used tri 5 car rear ends under the trucks to get a 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern to match the 54 car front drums we stuck on the front but that is pretty well obsolete technology.

Things to factor in= How strong does the rear need to be?
Disk or drum brakes on rear?
bolt pattern for wheels?
mini tubs if needed or ain't no way on mini tubs?
The almighty $$$$$ involved.
Wheel/rim and tire choice.

I hate seeing guys throw out ideas for high dollar pieces when they have no clue as to the budget the guy or gal building the truck has and unless they are wanting one of us to work on it we have no viable reason to know unless they offer it up front. I don't think there are too many of us who wouldn't call Curry, Dutchmans or Mosier for a rear end all set up if we had the spendable coin to do it. A lot of budgets don't allow for that and for a few that would be the whole truck budget.

I hate seeing guys buy wheels and tires at the beginning of a build because things change along the way but you have to know what offset you are wanting to run on the rear and what width of rim and tire to be able to know where the wheel mount surfaces of the axles need to be sitting in the wheel wells. Too wide and the tires are out past the fenders like a redneck 4x4, too far in and you need tubs on a tire that may not need tubs or worse yet the tire is too far back from the lip of the fender and looks goofy.

Disk/drum that's your choice entirely but most of us like to be able to stop.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote