View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
maxwoof

Re: Give me a brake 1962 4x4!

I have a 62 k-20 as well. I am able to find drums, shoes, master and wheel cylinders, and hoses on RockAuto.com. 12x2 brakes were used on 4x4s through at least 1970, i think. Later years list more springs and hardware, much of which will work on your 62.

What is very elusive is parking brake cables and hardware.

So far, I have rebuilt the steering box, replaced the steering column bearings, rebuilt the carb, replaced the entire exhaust, replaced the master cylinder, full ignition tune up, floor mat, new king pin bearings, re-packed wheel bearings in the front, knuckle seals, radiator, all pinion seals, trans and transfer case output seals, all new u-joints, heater core, and heat levers, and other things. No major difficulties in finding parts, mostly from RA, and the various specialty vendors.

I fabbed parking brake cables using cables form a 2wd and bx conduit. They work, but not great. I understand inline tube makes cables, but I have not tried them yet.

Also, i drilled out the shift bar on the transfer case to 1/2" and installed bronze bushings and new clevis pins. Big improvement in shifting.

Also, I run the closed knuckles dry. I pack the wheel bearings with grease like conventional 2wd. Same for the U-joints. My usage is similar to yours, and so far, so good. If I wind up re-packing every 7-10k miles, that will be a long time between. And no oil on the floor.

The only drips I have are form the transfer case bearing retainers, which I understand is common. Some day I will take them apart and re-assembe with permatex or hylomar. In the meantime. I make sure ot is full.

My truck came with later model 16 inch wheels. Look to specialty tires of america and Coker tire for 17 inch tires. There should be others. I would love your wheels, so if you ever look to let them go, think of me.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps you.
maxwoof is offline   Reply With Quote