Old 01-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

HUNTER'S 1978 GMC C15 BUILD THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
nice. I like it.
Thanks!

So, what's next? We lowered it.. after buying long tube headers. Long story short the new headers ended up the attic after two weekends spent lowering my truck.

This is what turned this truck from a casual project to a wallet munching monster.

First I started collecting parts such as Belltech front and rear sway bars, CPP tubular control arms, all new moog steering parts, Mcgaughy's 2" lowering springs and 2.5" drop spindles, all new polyurethane body mounts, belltech nitro drop shocks and a few other things I can't recall off the top of my head.

Here are some part numbers and links of everything I could locate via order history. Some things were ordered from amazon or other sites so I can't provide them all.Moog steering components were bought from Summit as well but not as a kit and there's too much to post about that. Mcaughy's kit was bought from a vendor website. Since I was lowering my truck I also had to buy a bracket that moved the sway bar up so it wouldn't hit on any curbs. It was from CPP.

The stockpiling of parts which crowded the garage for a few weeks prior to jumping in head first into the suspension work.

Hadn't got to drive the truck much with the new transmission, here's one of the only photos I have of it leaving the driveway with the new transmission and the power brakes. The brakes stopped really good, almost too good. The transmission? It liked to scream and the clutch slipped terribly. It also dripped like a puppy and sometimes the clutch pedal went out entirely.

Here you can see where I had some oil/transmission leaking problems.

My dad ground off the bump stops while I was using a wire brush on the rear axle and paint prepping.

I thought it turned out really good!

And then like magic we had primed and painted the frame (At night) and it turned out ok. No where near as good as the pedals and the axle. My dad convinced me I could leave it alone as nobody was going to be able to crawl under there and criticize my rattle can abilities.

I was pretty excited at this point, but it did look pretty stupid as the front was at stock height.

Everything in the rear was pretty straight forward and easy and we did it in a weekend. I think the most challenging part was the rear sway bar which is really massive but we got it on there eventually. Brake lines were coated in a silver paint and so where the leaf spring packs. While we were at it we replaced the vent hose that was dry rotted with one from LMC.

I think this is enough content for this post, sorry to leave you all hanging but the next post I will share photos of the front suspension and Blue eating the jack when it was all said and done. I'll get around to it tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote