View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #117
rusty_67

Re: 'Wintergreen' 1969 GMC Build

Thought I might as well update everyone on the latest.

Things went south with the guy that was painting my truck. He had had the truck for over 4 months, and it seemed like every time I went up there, very little was getting done. Yet every time we talked about budget he said that everything was 'on track' (I had told him my budget and absolute max for a finished product). Finally I started getting nervous and asked for some hard numbers on where he was at what it was going to take to finish. Initially he added up his hours and told me that we were sitting at $7500, a bit of a shock. The only other things close to paint were the box sides and tailgate, the rest he had barely touched. My absolute max for the paint (this is revised as when I had originally budgeted much less) was $10000. Judging by what was done and what was left, I couldn't see it being finished within my budget, but again he said we were on track and he'd work with me on it. I was worried, but I thought if I were to get up there and work on it with him, more would get done and we'd be able to finish it. Then a couple days later when I phoned him to see if we'd be able to get the box together that day. He said he had gone through the numbers again, and we were actually sitting at about $11500 before materials. And this is after I had already spent about $3000 on new parts and paint that he requested to make his job easier. I couldn't believe it, this guy took me for a ride. A half painted truck and he wanted $11500. After some argument, he threatened not to give the truck back unless I paid. I was caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. I managed to beg him down to the original $10000 (does that smell a little fishy?) and gathered up all the parts and pieces and got it towed home asap.

I don't expect people to work for nothing, and I certainly appreciate good work and am willing to pay a little more for it. What I don't appreciate is a lack of transparency when it comes to the work being done.

So down about $15000 and some dignity, its time to pick up the pieces and carry on. Looks like it'll be delayed another year though as I try to recoup some of the losses.
rusty_67 is offline   Reply With Quote