View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
1project2many

Re: Which year is the most sought after '47-'55 Truck

Rather than ask what's the most sought after, ask what typically sells for the highest price. People here are passionate about their trucks. There are stories here of pursuing the same old rusty truck for years because of a sentimental attachment. Trucks that remind us of a person, place, or time are not desired for any features of the truck so much as what they represent. Trucks purchased because they were a good deal or were the best a person could find start as a substitute for another but generally earn their place in the heart over time. In my case what was "sought after" and what was purchased carried a 20 year difference in age!

People spend years restoring these vehicles and getting to know nearly every detail. Dents, bumps, rust spots, etcetera. Or they put a huge amount of time into a custom project, built the way they want with parts and money going into building the vehicle they couldn't buy. Then you direct them to stop telling you why they like their truck and tell you which ones other people want??? You might as well try to discuss swimsuit models while your significant other is present.

Quote:
I see that this poll is worthless. Selecting a year simply because it happens to be the one you own is not useful.
Neither is your thinking. Are you looking for a full on restoration? Are you going to build a truck with a frame swap and modern powertrain? Looking for original 4wd or aftermarket? Like a Suburban or Panel? Expensive paint and custom body work or fake patina? Fiberglass and filler ok or do you want "all steel?" Desirability is not the same as resale value (I really want that truck, but I'd never pay what they're asking), nor is it the same as collector value (My truck can't sell for that little, because it was appraised for so much more!). With no frame of reference your question is nothing more than "what truck do you like?"