View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421030

This should show a complete rebuild of the worm drive winch in it's Ramsey clothes. The same except for the solenoids. Page three for the money shot.

Jeff, The cable should come through your factory bumper. Usually, the fairleads are mounted right where the licenses used to be. Is this what you are considering to low?

Take care, Bruce
Thanks for that post. I'm hoping to just clean the internals up from access cover, and maybe replace seals. That's my hope anyhow. Even an abused winch like that with stripped threads and such still had good gears.

Yes, the winch line coming through the bumper with the worm on top. Looks like it hangs down low. What do you think. But, you do get the added benefit of not having a huge bumper sticking out front to house the winch. The choice of tucking the winch under and behind the bumper vs up high and hanging off the front is what I'm deciding. I'm hesitant to cut into my front bumper as well, because it is the original. If I go under mount I might buy a second bumper and store my original. If I have the skid plate like you I would probably just mount it and call it a day.

Once I get it on the truck it will hopefully give me some perspective. Looking at it sitting there... it looks really BIG!

Most likely my mounting and bumper will be a cross between a Duce and half and an old Power Wagon winch bumpers. I'll just have to figure a clever way to protect or bury that transfer case!

I love a winch on the front of a truck. Very happy!