View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Acid dipping to remove rust/bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA8U View Post
Anyone do this? Good/bad?
My opinion on the dipping process isn't positive. Please remember that everyone has an opinion... And mine is based on input from George Ross of Ross Restorations in Thompson Station TN. George did a '35 Ford pickup for me years ago and we discussed it in depth.

George has several European cars, and really was a British Restoration expert at first. He's since branched out into everything, but he's a tremendous painter and fabricator. Had several Lotus cars, and some stuff I didn't recognize.

Anyway, the issue with dipping cars is that even when cleaned up, the chemical never really comes out of any seams. Then, over time, it continues to "clean" the metal, and eventually eats thru the seam. He showed me on several different cars he had "dipped".

Now, admittedly this was years ago, and maybe the process has improved, however he convinced me to sand/media blast, and I've been nothing but happy with my decision.

Again, everybody has an opinion. Talk to different people who do this for a living, and gauge for yourself. Personally, I won't dip a vehicle body.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote