View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
Foxtrot

Re: The Worst! (Won't Start)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Check your distributor isn't loose.
Then check your timing.
A slightly loose (hard to move but will move with some effort) distributor will rotate cw with the rotor motion and retard the timing.
I checked the distributor, but couldn't get any movement out of it. Wasn't applying too much force though.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Are you getting fuel to the carb? I know there is a new pump and filter, but there. Hold be some sort of restriction in the line. If it starts when primed, then it sounds like fuel might not be making it up there.

What kind of engine and carb are you working on?

No fuel to the carb! This is actually kind of a relief. Removed the fuel line at the carb and no fuel was coming out of the line even after all the priming. To be certain, I laid on the ignition for ten solid seconds twice--no fuel squirts. Seriously, I feel really relieved right now even without having the truck repaired because this is a REALLY strong indication that the problem is still fuel-flow and that's a heck of a lot easier to fix (for me) than anything else except electrical issues.

Tomorrow I'll start working backward from there, but this basically limits it to just a few things:
- The new pump I purchased is faulty
- Fuel selector has a problem
- There is otherwise a blockage in the fuel lines
- Or I put the push rod in backwards? According to the (crappy) Hayne's manual (which I use as a quick reference in lieu of checking the full service manual I have in .pdf), when removing the push rod, I should be careful to install the push rod the right way. 1) the rod fell out when I removed the plug that keeps it in place so I have no idea which way it was in originally and 2) I'm pretty certain it's identical at both ends (no wheel or anything, just a straight, cylindrical rod).
- Or could I have used too much grease to keep the rod in place and this is fouling up the pump's ability to function?

The engine is a 454 MK4 (1979) with a Q-jet carb (Rochester M4M...E...?), all stock. Truck is a '79 C20 Camper Special--it has dual (independent) tanks.

Last edited by Foxtrot; 03-15-2017 at 01:32 AM.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote