View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
weim55

Re: Advice on split rims

I say not so fast on ruling out the split rims completely. That was my first thought on the split rims on my 1950 3600 three-quarter ton. I found it was impossible to find a one piece wheel that would accept the stock hubcaps and were eight lug. I refused to put an aftermarket wheel on such an original truck so I searched high and low until I found A set of stock size ( tall and narrow) 15 inch radials to use on the stock wheels. Restored the original wheels and mounted the tires myself. I love the original look. It was very time consuming to go through all the hoops but very worth it I think. Yes, There are some downsides, you must run tubes and liners. If you ever have a flat you have to break down the tire to repair or replace the tube. Balancing can be a *****. It wasn’t a concern on my 50 because the truck only sees 55 miles an hour tops.

I haven’t decided if I want to replace the split rims on my 69C 20. That truck will be a work horse driver. I love the original look of the restored wheel on my 50 and think the same treatment would be great on the 69. You NEVER see restored original splits on these trucks ever........

The bad rap for split rims being dangerous is just silly. They are like anything else with proper inspection and education on how to properly mount and dismount they are easy to work with. Any good commercial industrial truck tire outlet will still do split rims.

Steve weim55 Colorado
Attached Images

Last edited by weim55; 10-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote