View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #97
lks dcvn

Re: Left for dead: 72 2wd blazer build

Wow - very familiar territory -

I opted to just grind the threads down to the floor on those bolts on the torsion box/b pillar area instead of opening up that area [see pix] - really stupid design if you ask me - even if they would have welded nuts to the floor and then ran the bolts up from the bottom - it would have been better [at least from a restoration perspective].

I spent a LOT of time on my back with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and cut off wheel [I don't have my compressor hooked up yet to use a smaller cut off wheel] to get those damn bolts cleaned up so I could fit the repro piece flush to the floor.

I figured I would be the one to tell you...If the patch panels that you made were easy enough for the B Pillar Support- then I think you did OK - Wes at Classic Hearbeat makes them - but they are spendy since they are handmade. If they were $8 - I would buy a set for sure.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/cata...ar%20Patch.htm

I still haven't decided if I will just make my own yet...

Even if the pictures don't show it - I know how much time goes into this stuff now. I think I was naive before and thought - I can knock this out pretty quick. Rust repair/replacement is a very time consuming process and I have run into several 'hurdles' [rusted bolts, extra rust, part trimming, part mockup, final trimming, tack welding, finish welding, grinding, etc.] - all this stuff adds up to long days, tired legs and aching backs.

Keep up the good work!
Attached Images

lks dcvn is online now   Reply With Quote