View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
irongun324

Re: 1988 350 TBI idles funny, stalls when put in gear, and accels rough...

I'll look at the IAC in the morning then, but here is some more info to digest.

After the vacuum lines today, i let it idle for 5-10 mins, made a quick around the block loop (hesitation still apparent). When I got back I let it idle a while longer still, 10-15 mins, and then realized it was idling a LOT smoother. No hunting, very smooth even idle. So I drove it again, farther this time, and there was almost no hesitation at all in forward gears. In reverse, going slow it still sounded like it wanted to stall (did once when I was turning around), but usually didn't. Drove it around for a while longer and maintained good enough acceleration that I didn't feel uncomfortable in traffic. When it was warm, I measured around 8.5 PSI on the return line side of the throttle body (disconnected wrong line, will check proper side tomorrow). Should I see the same PSI in this line that I would in the sending line?

After sitting for 30-45 mins and cooling down, it was back to poor/hesitating acceleration again, and slight hunting in the idle. Thoughts?

Also, was thinking of trying to bypass the EGR solenoid, and hook the EGR valve straight to the TB vacuum inlet. Good idea? Would it prove anything if it helped when the engine was cold?

Also bought and O2 sensor. I'm guessing the one there is old judging by other parts, and wouldn't hurt to be replaced.
Dad's: 68 C10 Stepside (work truck condition, runs though)
59 Apache Fleetside (rusted pile of metal - hopefully soon to be father/son project when he cleans out his garage!)

Can see all three of these here

Last edited by irongun324; 04-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.
irongun324 is offline   Reply With Quote