View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
MASTERBrian

Re: Reduced Engine Power Mode on '03 Burb

Just a follow up on this. I took to a shop that specializes in electrical. This problem hadn't presented since about early Sept, when it was going crazy. On the day I took to shop it presented twice, in fact once during the 1 mile drive to the shop. He kept it and put a few hours of driving for parts and even home and on errands over the weekend with his scanner hooked up and nothing. His recommendation was maybe to re-build the wire harness, but at a tune of about $500. I was ready to just go ahead and do this, but he talked me out of it because he didn't feel good about throwing parts at something he couldn't get a live capture of what was going on.

Someone recommended EFI Connections for the connectors for the harness, I called them and for about $110 they built me the complete harness, with Delphi Parts and crimped to spec, for between throttle pedal sensor and TAC module, then also the harness for between the TAC and Throttle body. Even the electric tech said go for it, he can't build it that cheap. That said EFI is possibly going to start building the harness for stock, but prices might be different than what I paid, since I provided some info on lengths, etc.

Now if the postal service can figure out where my package that has been sitting in town since Sunday and out for delivery since Monday is, maybe I can get them installed. They are now showing as delayed with nothing else given. Waiting on a call from them as I type.

My questions on this now are is it worth it to pay the electrical guy $75 p/h to wire the harness between the TAC and the Throttle Body in? 8 wires of the 16 wire harness are just plug and play the other 8 need to be spliced into the existing harness(s). The harness between the TAC and Throttle Pedal is probably a 10 min swap, if that. To get my lengths I went to the salvage yard and took some measurements off a like year burb with half of the stuff already out of my way. In fact I grabbed the newer version TAC module and Throttle Pedal sensor from that truck, may go back for the Throttle body, but I'm told not really important to have matching parts as they are all interchangeable.

I can do wiring, BUT, so far I don't have a diagram, which I wish I had. EFI Connections is producing the wiring in same color and size as factory schematic, so they say just match wires and solder in place. The harness goes up under the fuse panel on driver side fender. I want it to look as factory as possible when complete, so no one looks at it down the road and says....WTH!! I also worry that if this system is that picky, that if I do something just a little off, I'll have other issues with it, but EFI Conn says, these other wires should have NO EFFECT of the drive by wire/reduced engine power issues. All of those wires are in the plugs they crimp to spec.

So I'm wondering do I replace the wires myself, just solder and heat shrink the 8 wires myself. I'd use silver solder and try to locate some good quality heat shrink to seal out any moisture, etc. Then bundle it all back in the factory loom.

EFI also says if I have issues AFTER the wire change, the issue is elsewhere, which means back to electrical shop or another shop. I do have the E series TAC off a 2005 Burb...mine is the A series. Should I swap them when I do the wiring or wait and see?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote