Thread: NAPCO Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #92
justcuz

Re: NAPCO Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
Walt
I am far from expert on Napco's but my understanding is that the support plates on the crossmember were the transfer case was/is mounted would have been riveted to the crossmember. The transfer case shifter bracket would have been riveted to the frame as well. The rivets would indicate it was a factory build verses an "upfit" done at the dealer.

V-8's were avalible on the upfits as the buyer would order the motor and trans he wanted in a 2wd truck and then they dealer would install the Napco gear once the truck came in.

I think the GMC's were first "factory" builds with Chevy building them at the factory the following year. V-8's were an option from the factory.

The guy I am working with to assist me with my build is Omar Lugo at lugoparts.com

He just hooked me up with the correct transfer case linkage so I can mount up my shifter bracket.
That is interesting, my impression was all NAPCO conversions were a dealer installation only. The customer ordered his 2wd truck and had the dealer upfit it to 4wd with the NAPCO kit. That is why to my understanding NAPCO 4wd trucks do not have K letter vin numbers, they all started out as 2wd trucks. See if you can find more information about this issue, it is the first I've ever heard of it.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote