View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #25
Missyblue

Re: What’s the most practical way to swap engines?

Hey I'm in your shoes and learning and this is what I'm told so far and trying for myself. my mechanic calls it my practical poor man plan

1988 to 1991chevy or gmc 2wd truck is what to look for if you want less wiring and flashing computer stuff. Once you get to 1992 you have the electronic tranny. has the tbi engine for fuel injection and the 700r4 then you supposedly can use lots of other stuff like suggested above out of the donor vehicle. but I liked his idea cause I can buy the truck and drive it and make sure everything works before putting in my truck. since you won't be drivin it a ton you buy one with around 100k and supposedly you will have an engine for the rest of your life haha. plus I'm not a person who can keep my carb tuned up and the fuel nowadays seems to make it harder he claimed.

there's a guy on Facebook Seth doulton in a Chevy/gmc forum I think that does really reasonable priced custom wiring kits I hear good things about. but there's tons of wiring companies just have to decide how much youb want to spend he's like $250 I think so much cheaper than alot i found.

it's an adventure. I originally planned to do like you and just upgrade my stock frobt with disk brakes and such but have since decided on a mustang ii after listening to these helpful gu ys on here. the cost and the benefits of what you gain are worth it to me since I'll be driving in town and need good handling and brakes and the cost of adding disk and powersteering was getting close so I'm saving for the better handling bonus as well haha

good luck and welcome. this forum is amazing and I have learned a little and have much to go. enjoy your build
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote