View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #11
vectorit
What?

Re: 1968 Suburban K20 Past & Present build

The side trim was all restored from the original pieces, all except for the front clip and the smallest piece in front of the 3rd door (that one sprouted legs, never to be seen again).

No one was reproducing the 67-68 side bright work, only the pick ups so I bought all new for the front clip.
It seems like Mar-K was making this trim for the 67-68 Suburban, but after recently looking at their online catalog. It appears they no longer stock it anymore, but I'd give them a call to see if they can still help if you are looking or 67-68 Suburban side trim.

The shop that did my bright work restoration was a tiny little shop in Burbank CA, and it was just two guys with trim pieces piled every where and two anvils in the middle of the shop. They basically hammered out every single ding & dent, then polished the metal to be smooth for the anodize process which was another shop. Pretty sure they are long gone now, but places like Mar-K are selling Suburban bright work now. Mar-K is where I got the little trim piece in front of the 3rd door.

You can see the repair that was done to one piece of trim by the little shop, it is basically a weld to fill in a hole/tear that was in the trim piece. They told me that the repairs like this would not take an anodize finish too well, but I don't care because it reminds me of where this damage came from and the skilled craftsman that repaired it.

The picture of the fastener... My current nemesis. I don't care who is reproducing this clips to fit 67-68 trim pieces, I have purchased them all and I can tell you that they are garbage and don't waist your money. I go to swap meets with this stupid clip in my pocket, just to find NOS versions of it... Clips like this, are common in the Suburban. Clips that are no longer made, or the new ones do not work. I have to say, since this is a current quest of mine, I do not even think about mickey mousing clips to "work". They either snap fit like the OE version, or they are a waste of my time and money (kinda sensitive about this dang part right now).
Attached Images

Last edited by vectorit; 07-13-2016 at 11:30 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote