View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
flyingtim01

Re: '71 K20 Growling/Grinding noise

It came back yesterday evening, on the way home from work. The truck isn't a daily driver, but I needed to pick up some pallets, so yesterday it was the commuter.

Same circumstances as before. It seems quiet and smooth, then you hit a bump at about 35mph and all of a sudden there is the grinding feeling from under the floorboards. I noticed that once it starts, and you slow to a stop, it doesn't come back right away once you start moving again. It really does seem to be triggered by a bump. While you're slowing down, the tone of it changes, almost like a baseball card in your spokes. Making me think it's something to do with the tires or wheels. Would a wheel bearing make such a pronounced grinding noise/feel? I did verify that it was in 2 hi, both hubs are newer Warn hubs are are unlocked, so nothing in the front drivetrain should even be moving, let alone making noise.

Am I missing something here? What else could be making a noise like that, while the truck is moving? Would a throwout bearing make a noise like that if it were on it's way out? The truck has always chattered in reverse unless the clutch is either all the way in or out, trying to feather it in between will give you whiplash. Could that have something to do with it?

At my wit's end here. Thought I had it nailed down and here we go again...
flyingtim01 is offline   Reply With Quote