View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #311
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

holidays over, time for a spot of work.

bumpers! I have a very nice 1947 GMC bumper in the back yard but I am holding out hope I find the one guy who needs it instead of using it on a truck. they are scooped, like a car bumper for that 1.5 year period only. This truck came with a bumper, but he had removed it in the field for some reason, and torched off the splash pan. even still, it worked alright to build some brackets and pop it on.

I thought about tucking it in, but it looks a little flat.
IMG_2790 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

so I pulled it out and made it part of the truck.

IMG_2789 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2796 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I think I will make a splash shield, its installed in the right spot but looks low to the grille because the piece is missing.

the rear bumper was a little more work. I havent done one since the 47 GMC years ago but I had a spare 46 front bumper and its more flat than the 47-53, so I thought it might look good on the back. I wanted it just low enough to put the plate under the tailgate.

IMG_2797 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

bumper brackets are spring steel, which I dont have, but I figured some 11ga would be springy enough to take a tiny hit without crumpling. I made some cardboard templates and cut some steel, then bent them up to match the template.

IMG_2798 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2799 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

to facilitate the work I just tacked them to the frame, in case they needed to move in or out or up or down, instead of bolting them on more permanently.

IMG_2801 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2802 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr

looking good so far, now for the outside bolts.

IMG_2803 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2805 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I cut 1/2" holes in the outside brackets and plug welded them

IMG_2807 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

worked out nice! evenly matched to the taillights. the bumper has a little bend in it from probably being towed by a chain but it looks fine to me.

IMG_2804 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2808 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I will pick up some carriage bolts for the blade and the big bolts for the frame tomorrow.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote