View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Re: Hopping up a Chevy 250 6 cyl.

One last word of advice: If you go with a remanufactured or aftermarket head (which is recommended) from a place like Sissells auto, I don't think stock headers will fit.

Be careful when ordering headers if you have a 250 and not the 292. If you can trade up w/someone for a 292, do it...it's worth it. This is the kind of clearance I got with my Dynomax dual exhaust headers on my 250 - I had to ballpeen the hell out of them to get them to fit under the stock intake (this is "normal" I found out):

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=8

Pay special attention to the second page:

http://satellitehead.com/gallery/thu...album=8&page=2

If you are planning on lowering your truck, try to find shorties instead of full length headers or you'll be disappointed like me with headers that hang waaaay low under the truck. I sold mine after two uses to someone for half of what I paid for em and even gave them someEastwood header paint to sweeten the deal. All of your inline parts are gonna be like that - you will be lucky to get more than half of the money out of it that you put into it. It's really important to decide ahead of time ... is it really worth it to me to spend $3,000 to soup up my inline, get 10MPG, haul ass on the quarter mile but get smoked by a V8 any other time...when I could go big and fuel injected?

I ended up putting about $1,000 into inline stuff and literally just sold it all a few days ago for $325 to another board member a up in NC after advertising it all over the web for almost 5+ months at inliners.org classifieds, craigslist, here at the forum and a couple other places. I finished my engine and drivetrain all up, got it up and running...everything but the exhaust pipes...then I realized how crappy my gs mileage was, how I was still stuck with a 3spd on the tree, and how much happer I would have been spending twice that to get into a nice fuel injected V8.

Hence my LS1 swap photo gallery in my signature. I'm mid-swap and have been for a little while. I went overboard with a big engine, so I paid more, but ... whatever.

When I'm done, I'll have at least 320 torque & HP, get 22-28MPG highway and I can hang with all the other 'maros and 'birds and even some of the 'vettes out there...and I plan on smokin every 'stang I get a chance to

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-09-2006 at 10:00 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote