View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #64
phillipm

Re: 78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

The cluster is stock GM. I basically sliced and diced it up and made new faces for the Speedo and Tach. Then I took the movements out of those aftermarket gauges and put them behind the new faces that I made. I could have used the Auto Meter 5" faces but I really just didn't want it to look like aftermarket gauges. I wanted it to look factory, or maybe a version of factory. These don't immediately jump out at you as an upgrade.

The fuel and temp gauges are Auto Meter movements put behind the stock guage faces (And these are really simple to do. The screws even line up with the stock holes for the faces so it's so easy a cave man could do it... You can see some pics on Page 2 I believe. I had to use a 33-240 ohm gauge to line up with my GM sending unit. Then the Coolant temp came about because I was having way too much trouble finding a sending unit that would work with the stock gauge, and also be able to install in to the LS engine. After way too much research I said "F" it and just ran an auto meter movement and sending unit. To get the needle back on I waited till the engine was 205 (read through the ECU) and then stuck the needle on straight up. I've got a 195 stat so it should hover around this temp most of the time in Phoenix.
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote